Each one of us must have hold the Gayatri Mantra right from our birth. The Gayatri month holds a very auspicious position in the Hindu mythological books. Moreover, Gayatri Mantra is known to have a lot of benefits and is also known to bring success, wealth and health in one’s life. There are numerous benefits of chanting The Gayatri Mantra. This chanting dates back to 1100 BCE. Since then, The Gayatri Mantra has been used in every prayer or religious activity.
Gayatri Mantra In Sanskrit:
|ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वाहातत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि धियो यो न: प्रचोदयात्।|
Gayatri Mantra In English:
|Om bhur bhuva swaha tat savitur varenyam bhargo devasya dhimahi dhiyo yo nah prachodayat.
Meaning of the Gayatri Mantra
We can find the mentioning of Gayatri Mantra in the Rig Veda( Mandala 3.62.10). Rig Veda is an early Vedic text that was written around 1500 BCE. It is known that Gayatri Mantra is of immense importance for the Hindu religion. According to Bhagavad Gita, Gayatri Mantra is considered as the poem of the divine. Whereas according to the Upanishad, it is considered as a significant ritual. Since years, it is believed that Gayatri Mantra is very beneficial for our mind and the chanting of Gayatri Mantra at regular intervals ensures that peace prevails in our mind. Gayatri Mantra also states that people carry on with their work without worrying about the result, their life will be filled with joy and happiness.
We can sum up the meaning of this Mantra as:
“O thou existence Absolute, Creator of the three dimensions, we contemplate upon thy divine light. May He stimulate our intellect and bestow upon us true knowledge”.
In other words, the mantra means:
“Hey divine mother, you are very well aware that darkness prevails in our hearts. Please shower your blessings upon us and remove all the darkness from our hearts and brighten our souls. May your presence be inside us and we excel in all the fields”.
Om- its meaning and importance:
We all are very well aware of this word. We know that home has a very holy place in our hearts to stop Om comes from the word prana. Pranav means the vital vibration that is omnipresent. It is said that Om is not just a word, in fact, it is a complete thing in itself. Om represents the sound of the universe. Another thing to notice is that Om is one such word from which all other words generate.
Bhur, Bhuvah, Swah:
These three words generally mean the past, the present, and the future. They are collectively known as Vyahrities. It is that thing which gives us complete knowledge regarding the universe. In other words, we get each and everyinformation related to the entire Cosmos. While chanting The Gayatri Mantra, when a person chants these three words, he or she is praising the powers of God that is glorifying the three regions mainly the past, the present and the future.
Meaning of all other words:
Given below are the meanings of all the words that are used in the Gayatri Mantra:
- Tat- this word refers to the English word ‘that’. It is so because it states the description of the ultimate reality through speech or language.
- Savitur- this word refers to the ultimate light of wisdom, that is, the Divine Sun.
- Varenium- this means to adore.
- Bhargo- meaning illumination, that is, to light up and brighten.
- Devasya- Divine Grace
- Dheemahi- We contemplate, meaning, we appraise the power
- Dhi- meaning intellect
- Yo- meaning who
- Nah- meaning ‘Ours’
- Prachodayat- this word refers to the act of urging or praying or requesting
The benefits of chanting Gayatri Mantra:
There are a number of benefits of chanting Gayatri Mantra. Few of the benefits are listed down below:
- Chanting of Gayatri Mantra helps in increasing the learning power.
- It also helps in increasing the concentration span of a person.
- It also brings prosperity.
- It is said that chanting of this Mantra gives the chanter eternal powers.
- It is very useful for bringing peace in the life.
- If you want to go on the road of spiritual life, then Gayatri Mantra is the first step for it.
- It is kind of a correlation with the God.
- It helps in strengthening your mind and improving your health conditions.
- It also helps in improving the rhythmic pattern of your breathing.
- It helps in keeping our hearts healthy.
- It protects the devotee from unseen dangers and at the same time, leads the devotee towards the divine by building his or her intuition power.
- It also improves the relationships between members of the family.
Proper procedure of chanting The Gayatri Mantra:
You may chant the mantra according to your desired method but to reap the best results, you must follow the procedure that is mentioned in the religious books. If you want the best results, then close your eyes and concentrate on each and every word that you utter while chanting the mantra. This helps your subconscious mind to register the essence of the mantra and to act upon it. Once the subconscious mind registers the essence of this Mantra, it automatically starts bringing positivity and success. Moreover, the sound of these words should also be spoken very clearly and in the rhythmic way mentioned. You can chant this mantra at any point of time but it is advisable to chant it early in the morning or before going to sleep. There is a reason to it. Early in the morning or right before sleeping, your conscious mind is at peace and whatever you think or speak is registered in your subconscious mind.